Monday, August 27, 2007

Cinnamon Roll

by veggiechick74

I happily recall a perfect day back in the late 80's while visiting my dear friends in Anchorage, Alaska, when we had the highlight of the week to embark on a day at The Alaska State Fair. I seem to remember so clearly the sights and aromas at all the concession stands we passed. The fondest memory of that day was enjoying and savoring the wonderful cinnamon rolls we had with our morning coffee while we anxiously awaited the rain to stop so we could delight in the rest of our day together. I often recollect those lovely memories with my friends, and I must admit the cinnamon rolls, although sticky, yet yummy, truly set out to be a treat I will have never forgotten. The funny thing about it however is that I can honestly say I don't think I have had a cinnamon roll since then. I have just not seen them anywhere and just never took the opportunity to make them myself. But I think the tides have turned as I found this delicious looking recipe from 'veggie chick' and I just have to try it out. I thought you might like to try it too.

Ingredients:

For the Dough:

1 cup warm soy milk

1 package or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

1/2 cup organic granulated sugar

1/3 cup melted butter substitute (Earth Balance is good)

egg substitute to equal 2 eggs

4 cups all-purpose flour (or as needed)

1 teaspoon salt

For the Filling:

1 cup brown sugar

2 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon

butter substitute to help the filling stick

Directions:

Place the yeast, a pinch of the sugar, and the warm soymilk in a large mixing bowl (I use a Kitchenaid). Let sit for 5 minutes or until foamy. Add the melted butter substitute, granulated sugar, egg substitute, half the flour, and lastly the salt. Stir on low with the paddles attachment on until the ingredients are incorporated, about a minute. Add the rest of the flour in two intervals (I'd switch to the dough hook here and reserve some of the flour - add only as much as needed for good dough consistency). Knead it for about 3 minutes until it's soft and pliable. Let rise for 1 hour (or until double in size). While the dough is rising, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Once the dough has risen, flour a clean surface as needed and roll the dough out into a rectangle about 16"x21". The dough should be about 1/4-1/8 inches deep. Spread on the butter substitute on the top side to coat (leaving about half an inch on one long side for sealing the dough once rolled), sprinkle on the brown sugar/cinnamon mix to coat. Roll it up width wise, cut into 12 equal lengths (or however many you want) and place them into two cake pans (or large rectangular pan) and bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or more. They should be slightly soft when you take them out.

Serves: 12

No comments: